Global Undergraduate Exchange Program
The Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (also known as the Global UGRAD Program) is sponsored by the US Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. It is a fully-funded scholarship for one semester of non-degree academic study at an assigned U.S. college or university.
It aims to recruit participants from underrepresented, non-elite backgrounds and emerging leaders committed to their home communities. Successful applicants get an in-depth exposure to US society, culture, and academic institutions, a chance to enhance their knowledge, and an opportunity to share their cultures and traditions with people in the United States.
All participants will be enrolled in full-time, non-degree, undergraduate course work chosen from their host institution’s existing curriculum. Participants will be required to enroll in at least two courses in their major and at least one course in a U.S. Studies field, such as U.S. history, literature, art, or government. Participants will live in campus housing facilities with American peers, and will be required to participate in twenty hours of community service. There will also be a virtual arrival orientation and an in-person end-of-program workshop.
Grant benefits include international travel, tuition, room and board, accident/sickness insurance, monthly stipend, and funding for books.
- Be an Indonesian citizen
- Be over 18 years of age
- Be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program (S1/D4) in Indonesia, having completed a minimum of one semester of study and having at least one more semester to complete at their home institution upon return. Preference will be given to those who are in their third or fifth semester.
- Demonstrate leadership potential through academic work, community involvement, and extracurricular activities
- Demonstrate a command of written and spoken English as attested by a recent (less than two years old) TOEFL ITP or TOEFL Prediction score of 500
- Be committed to return directly to Indonesia after the completion of the program
Preference will be given to those who have had little or no experience in the US or outside of their home countries. Only short-listed candidates will be notified for personal interview.
The following applicants are ineligible:
- US citizens and permanent residents of the United States
- Individuals currently studying, residing, or working outside of Indonesia
- Local employees of the US missions abroad who work for the US Department of State and/or the US Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Immediate family members (i.e., spouses and children) of US Department of State and USAID employees; family members are also ineligible for one year following the termination of employment
- Current World Learning and AMINEF employees and their immediate family members
The deadline for the online submission of application materials for the program is December 31, 2018.
How to Apply
Candidates should complete the online application which can only be accessed from November 1 to December 31, 2017.
Submission Requirements (to be supplied in English)
- Two letters of reference, one from a lecturer from the applicant’s major field of study, the other from another lecturer, an employer, a coach, or a community work supervisor
- Photocopy of Indonesian ID card (KTP)
- The latest university progress report / transcript in Indonesian and English
The transcript and other materials must be prepared before the deadline, since you will not be able to add additional information on the online application form after that date.
After the online application has been submitted, candidates should inform staff at AMINEF via email attaching their scanned TOEFL ITP or TOEFL Prediction score to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the email subject, “[Your Full Name] – Completed Global UGRAD Online Form.”
Please note that there are requirements unique to the Indonesia program, which may differ from details on the World Learning website. For applicants from Indonesia, please refer to the above requirements when applying to this program and direct all your questions to AMINEF staff.
Please also visit the following links for more information on the program:
Specific questions regarding the application process may be addressed via email to the following address: email@example.com